Tuesday, January 01, 2008

In Memoriam: Pastor Carl Luthman

I got a phone call today from my mother, and learned that Pastor Carl Luthman passed away on December 22. Pastor Luthman was my childhood pastor, when my family attended Lafayette Federated Church.

Pastor Luthman was a loving and generous man, and served God with all his heart and soul. He was remarkable in that his love extended even to those whose theology was significantly different from his own. He was intent on loving and serving Jesus; nothing else mattered.

I've known many Christians to profess that they "know" they are going straight to heaven when they die. Most of the time, I pray for them anyway when the time comes (just in case they find themselves in need of intercessors). In this case, however, I'd add, "And if you find yourself inside the gates as you expected, Pastor Luthman, then please pray for me!"

Eternal rest grant to him, O Lord,
And may perpetual light shine upon him.
May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed,
Rest in peace.

1 comment:

Erica Luthman Lisi said...

I came across this as I was looking for my grandfather's obit. On behalf of the whole Luthman family, thanks for your kind words, thoughts and most importantly prayers. Its nice to know that my grandfather touched your life, just as he did ours.

Best,

Erica Luthman Lisi